This is going to be the first Elastic Meetup in Basel hosted by the University Basel. It will happen at Lounge at Klingelbergstrasse 61. The Lounge can be found on level 13 (vis-à-vis Pharamzentrum).
• 19:00 Welcome, Networking
• 19:30 Log el(k)avation @Unibas-NOC (Mischa Diehm)
• 20:15 Automatic handling of mapping changes with zero downtime (Pawel Kowalski, Attila Forgacs)
• 20:45 Networking, Beer, Snacks
Log el(k)avation @Unibas-NOC
• "the past, the present and whatever comes next" => a short introduction into what we were/are/will be up to
• "one system to rule em all" => making sense of all them pesky multivendor logs, homebrewed information, monitoring information, ..., (timeseries data?!!)
• "debug drilling" => new flexible problem solving possibilties
• "Altera Altera" => Monitoring into Chatops
• "asking the elastic oracle" => seeking for answers? JUST ASK.
• „we want your soul" => queries, visualisations, dashboards
Automatic handling of mapping changes with zero downtime
• Elasticsearch doesn't allow to change index mappings once they are created. In order to change the mapping it is necessary to create a new one and reindex data into the new index. In order to do this without interrupting the search, it is possible to use aliases as described in the following post: https://www.elastic.co/blog/changing-mapping-with-zero-downtimeWe've implemented a search service as a proxy for elasticsearch which allows to do automatic alias creation and changing for a zero downtime search service. In addition to the approach described in the post we use a 'read' and a 'write' alias to make the alias changing transparent to the users. We'll present the approach as well as demo the code which takes care of creating the new index and switching the aliases.
• Authors: Pawel Kowalski and Attila Forgacs