Hi Elastic Fantastics,
Metrics collection is often what we imply when we are talking about monitoring. How much free memory do I have on this server? How much CPU did my application consume at this time yesterday? Metrics are periodic measurements that give us insight into the performance of our application or infrastructure.
In this session, we are going to discuss the collection of applications and infrastructure metrics and some of the out-of-the-box visualisations that can be useful. We will also get to practice metrics collection in a short lab.
Who should attend?
The workshop is aimed at folks in or aspiring to the following roles:
- Developers - how do I write maintainable software? How do I troubleshoot and reproduce issues faster?
- Operations/SREs - how do I detect failures? How do I measure how well I meet my business SLAs?
- Kubernetes users - how do I deploy and operate Kubernetes applications?
- Beginners and experienced, team Leads, juniors, and seniors. This training will have a lot to offer to every level of experience.
- Metrics are measurements
- Infrastructure metrics
- Application metrics
- Metrics metadata
- Metrics come in different forms
- Prometheus metrics
- Elastic Common Schema
- Lab 1: Docker Elastic stack
- Lab 2: Metricbeat and system metrics
- Metrics UI and alerting
- OOB Kibana dashboards
- Raw metrics data
Speaker Bio: Michael Hyatt (APAC Observability Specialist-Elastic)
Michael is an experienced solutions architect who's passionate about all things tech: cloud, APIs, integration, DevOps, programming, business intelligence, big data, and more. Before joining Elastic, Michael has over 10 years of experience working across diverse roles and industries in IT, Banking and Finance and Telecommunication.